You should exercise caution when looking for a general contractor in Plano, TX. Roofing requires a high level of knowledge and expertise to ensure that the installation is done properly. Even with a qualified roofer, mistakes can still be made. The following are some of the things you need to pay attention to.
- Customer Reviews : Do not underestimate the importance of customer reviews. Reviews come from people who have had direct contact with the contractor. But beware of customer reviews from the company’s website. They are more likely to be lofty and one sided and may not provide any useful insights. Instead consider established platforms like Yelp, Angie’s list, etc.
- Business Address: It is also important to establish whether the contractor has business premises. While there are several door-to-door roofers who may be competent and trustworthy contractors, many scams are done by those who do not have an established business address to avoid being tracked down. A contractor without a proper business address should be approached with caution.
- Business License: It is important to ensure that your roofing is licensed and bonded. Businesses that are not licensed are not very credible. You may have a hard time tracing them when you find that your roof has developed problems after installation. If they happen to be incompetent ultimately you’ll be the one to pay the price.
- Worker Compensation: Workers compensation ensures that if any of the laborers working on the building is injured the insurance will pay for it. Unfortunately, worker compensation insurance is one of the top expenses for roofing companies. It is therefore likely that some companies may not have it. In such a situation, you’ll be required to pay for any of the injured workers on your premises.
- Liability Insurance: Your contractor may ruin the roof or other valuables on your property due to negligence or incompetence. These mistakes are bound to happen from time to time even with a professional roofer. You therefore need to ensure that your general contractor in Plano, TX has the liability insurance.
It is important to note that there are different insurance policies and some of them have so many exemptions that they may not be useful in case of an accident. Check your insurance coverage and work with contractors that have experience dealing with insurance companies.
Working with Multiple Bids
When looking to hire a contractor, it is always advisable to consider multiple bids. You can get a chance to compare the different offers from different companies. You can compare prices, but your final decision should not be based on price alone. Consider materials, warranty and the reputation of the company.
It is therefore important to ensure that the proposals are in writing. Write proposals will give you a breakdown of the costs which includes the type of materials they use and the duration of their warranty. This way, you can determine if the lowest bid is worth it and whether they are using the best materials.